I started listening to Journey when I was 13
years old so I am more familiar with their sounds from 2006 and going
backwards. Steve Perry was their lead vocals during the time. He has great
vocals and it's one of those voices that is timeless, in my opinion, because I
don't know anyone who can sing the songs. Steve Perry went solo with songs such
as 'Oh, Sherry," which I love as well. I think that the band still
remained pretty true to their style close to the end while Perry was there but
I can distinguish differences in the last two albums that made me stop
following them. However, I can listen to any of their earlier work and never
get tired of them. I can get a good fill of their music in me for up to two
hours before my mood changes for a different genre I want to listen to and
sometimes I just go lateral. I grew up with Journey though so to me they are
one of the best there was back in the 1980's.
The following are my top favorites in order:
1. Faithfully (Dedication goes to three men in my
life.)
2. Separate Ways (Dedication goes to one man in
my life.)
3. Open Arms (No dedication. This has no special
meaning in my life.)
4. When You Love A Woman (No dedication. It has a
special coded meaning.)
5. I'll Be Alright Without You (Dedication to one
man in my life.)
I first listened to Journey one night when I
asked my brother to let me borrow his cassette. I put it in my walkman (Man,
I'm old!), which I placed under my pillow to listen to so that I can go to
sleep hearing it. Well, at first, it was a fail to sleep because I actually was
paying attention to the lyrics. What a great start in music as a teenager! I
remember my brother asking for his tape once and I said "but I like it and
am still listening." Needless to say, my brother was impressed and he let
me have it. I then got to own my first album on cassette and it was Frontiers.
The following are my next favorites in order:
6. Stone In Love
7. Patiently
8. Chain Reaction
9. Don't Stop Believin'
10. Lights
Journey is one of those bands that you can listen
to them and you literally enjoy every last song simply because they are just
what I would term as 'feel good music.' It's not music that has a personal
memorabilia every time but a lot of it came from a time period in everyone's
life where you just enjoyed listening while hanging out with friends or just
cruisin' along. I may have started listening in my teens which was the 1980's
but I have three siblings older than I am that really enjoyed the older music.
However, their taste in their favorites don't differ too much from my own when
it comes to this artist. Even my daughter has a good appreciation for them
because she was raised listening to me playing the songs. I had a blast singing
Journey with my daughter when she was in her pre-teen. Together, her and I
sound great. I hope that she continues the tradition of great classics with my
grandson!
The following favorites comes after my top 10 in
order:
11. Who's Crying Now
12. Wheel In The Sky
13. Only The Young
14. Send Her My Love
15. Ask The Lonely
16. Any Way You Want It
17. Escape
18. Rubicon
19. Still They Ride
20. Stay Awhile
I've had a great time going through Journey's
albums and listening to everything. However, there is nothing like going back
to the very beginning of their journey when they first released their very
first album titled Journey in 1975. I did give it a listen and the difference
between before Steve Perry and after is very different. Perry is good but I
have to say, with all due respect, that I prefer the sound before he joined the
band.
Listen to Journey's Of A Lifetime from the self
titled Journey released in 1975:
Libby Baez, All Rights Reserved ©
Thru Libby's Eyes
Content may not be reproduced, in part
or as a whole, for the purposes of selling or redistribution.
No comments:
Post a Comment