Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Defining My Personality Type

Do you ever wonder how you may have changed over the years based on your actions and perceptions to events in your life?

When I was 24, I took the Myers Briggs Personality Test.  This test is very extensive and uses many different factors in determining who you are based on your answers to questions such as:

You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed.
You prefer to act immediately rather than speculate about various options.

Those are just a couple of examples.  Your personal results will fall into one of several types.  I decided to take a new test to see where I am at and here are my results.

Humanmetrics Jung Typology Test™
Your Type: INFJ

Introvert(67%)  iNtuitive(12%)  Feeling(38%)  Judging(56%)
You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (56%)

Where have I changed compared to where I was before?

I have a need to protect my innermost self more than I used to.  This means I have a need to have an outward personality at times.  My Introversion is lower than it used to be but still distinctive.  It used to be an alarming 87%.

Intuition over Sensing has not changed.  I've always been balanced on this so I thought.  In reality, the test is accurate.  I prefer to follow my intuition before approaching anything I want to do.  I am surprised that it's only 12% because as I said I thought I was balanced on this.

A great man once told me I think too much and the more I allowed him to get to know me, I began to reshape the balance in my thought process.  This makes the current preference towards feeling as opposed to thinking very different from what it used to be.  I still think about this and my perception has changed of how I view myself.  I am still changing though so the moderate 38% is actually going to continue to increase over time.

Judging as opposed to the perception has changed but only slightly.  It's still accurate on my personality type.  When I previously took the Myers Briggs it was 67%.

Where does this leave me now?  Let's look at what this personality type is like in detail.

INFJs have an introverted "exterior" but have deep convictions and feel strongly about the things that matter the most in life.  This personality type is not easily led like a lamb either to the slaughterhouse.  It goes against the grain every step of the way and you can't easily fool them either.  This perfectly describes me as I am a no nonsense and straightforward person.  In other words, I don't believe  anything I hear or listen.

INFJs, also, are very selective in the friends they have and are few; which may well be only one to two friends they can truly trust and depend on.  They may well have five friends but out of the five only one person may have their true trust and friendship making the bond symbiotic transcending it with just a few select words.  These are more special than most friendships.

Apparently, INFJs have a natural ability to write, be fluent in language and language arts and ease in communication.  This makes sense to me because although I don't like dealing with the general public, so to speak, I do have a natural ability to use excellent verbiage in English when communicating with others in writing and in speech.  What I don't agree upon is that INFJs are most comfortable in public speaking and politics.  I personally turn away from these two.  We are also found in counseling but I find this hard to accept as well because I have a tendency to put up a shield in this way.

Points in Functional Analysis:

Introverted Intuition

• Enjoy a greater clarity of perception of inner, unconscious processes than all but their INTJ cousins
• Readily grasp the hidden psychological stimuli behind the more observable dynamics of behavior and affect
• Ability to deduce the inner workings of the mind, will and emotions of others
• Act with insight and spontaneously as unique solutions arise on an event by event basis.

Extroverted Feeling

• Vent the attending emotions in private, to trusted allies
• Aware of the treachery that can reside in the hearts of mortals

Introverted Thinking

• Thinking is introverted, turned toward the subject

Note: Introverted thinking may have qualities of being aloof.  This is associated with their attempts to be deeply focused on their subject at hand.  Everything around them becomes distant and any interruptions they receive could irritate them from being deterred.  This takes a lot of energy.

Personally, I do get irritated when I am interrupted but I often find myself closing my mind to the rest of world.  It would take a large sound; an emergency or something similar to break my concentration.  It can easily break my train of thought and I forget what I am about to say or do.  Sometimes, though, I am attempting to multi-task and this can be disastrous making me painfully aware of all the sounds around me resulting in a breakdown and get burnt out.

Extroverted Sensing

• Twice blessed with clarity of vision, both internal and external
• Possess inner vision (Unconscious)
• External sensing perception (Hold of worldly objects)

Note: Sensing is the weakest and most vulnerable arsenal.  They become so absorbed in their intuitive perception that they become oblivious to physical reality.  Refer to personal note in Introverted Thinking.

I began my self diagnosis of personality, as I stated before, at age 24 and to this day I continue to delve into personal life and growth of my personality type.  My career choices have been automatic and clearly are well chosen.  Since my personality type does well in language and communication, it makes sense that the personality types fall into the following:

• Social Work
• Education
• Law
• Librarian
• Arts
• Humanities

Those are just a few and the possibilities within each field are plenty.  I am at my most comfortable within administrative and clerical positions.

Marina Margaret Heiss, formerly of the University of Virginia, wrote "INFJs are distinguished by both their complexity of character and the unusual range and depth of their talents. Strongly humanitarian in outlook, INFJs tend to be idealists, and because of their J preference for closure and completion, they are generally "doers" as well as dreamers."  It is perfectly clear to me that she understands my personality type.  I didn't discover until recently that I do seem to stem from idealistic views but what she doesn't note is that I also have a bit of realist in me.  It is true that my need for completing a task is a preference.  I don't give up on any given task until I succeed in my final achievement.  When I set goals, I am able to complete them.  It is very rare for me to give up.

I believe that we all have the capability to fully learn about ourselves and am glad that it is a continual process that never ends.  The older I get, the more defined I see my personality becomes.  There is always room for more personal growth within ourselves.

Note: The test I used online comes from the findings of Carl Gustav Jung in Analytical Psychology

© Libby Baez, All Rights Reserved
Thru Libby's Eyes, ©
May 11, 2013

Images and content may not be reproduced, in part or as a whole, for the purposes of selling or redistribution.

Sources:
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
http://www.humanmetrics.com/hr/you/careerchoices.aspx?EI=-67&SN=-12&TF=-38&JP=56
http://typelogic.com/infj.html


No comments:

Post a Comment